Monday, April 27, 2009

Independent Reading- MP4, The Double Bind


The Front Cover
• Title/Author/Awards
It's called the "Double Bind". Not really sure what that refers to, as of yet. And I've never heard of Chris Bohjalian.
• Picture/Words
Has a girl on a bicycle. I'm sure it has significance, but that has yet to be revealed.
• What do you think the book is about? Topic/Big Picture?
I think the book will be about the trials and tribulations of a young woman.
• Jot down 2 questions you have.
Will this book be good?
How will such a simple story become "suspenseful" and "harrowing"? (words taken from reviews)

The Back Cover
• Synopsis or Plot Preview? Laurel works in a Burlington, Vt., homeless shelter and is trying to overcome mental and physical scars incurred from a brutal assault some six years earlier. After being given a portfolio of photographs taken by a recently deceased resident of the shelter, Bobbie Crocker, she becomes obsessed with questions surrounding what appears to be a picture of herself shot on the day of her attack. Laurel's already fragile mental state begins to unravel as she follows Bobbie's life from his rich-kid childhood on Long Island to homelessness in Vermont.
• Review/Praise/Acclaim? Overall what is your impression. It looks like it's going to be really good!!!
• Does the back cover reveal anything about the story (time period, characters, setting, etc.)? If so, jot down some notes.

Inside the Book
• Copyright/Publication date? 2001
• Is there a dedication- no
• Table of Contents? Chapter Titles? #’s?
• Other titles listed by the author? Jot a few down. "Skeletons at the Feast"
• Open to a random page and read a few paragraphs. What is the author’s writing style? It's really flowing and descriptive.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
Based on your preview of the book, what do you think it may be about? What types of characters, issues, themes, etc… do you think you will encounter? What sort of background information (already known or researched) do you think you will need to understand the story? Write down 3 questions you hope to have answered by the end of the story.

I think this book will have strong themes of reality vs. fantasy. I think it will also seek to talk about the effects of mental illness. I don't think I'll have to know much background information- it takes place in modern day. I hope to have- who took the photos? Why is Laurel so "mentally fragile"? Will the mystery be solved?- resolved by the end of the book.

No comments: