The first thing I noticed when I began this book was the strange detachment of the main character Laurel. She lives in a slow, dreamy fashion and seems to have trouble connecting to people. I attribute this to her brutal attack years ago-things like this never really leave a person.
Her older boyfriend seems nice enough, but I question his intentions- why is he with such a young, damaged woman? He seems to be a bit clueless as to the true fragility of Laurel's mental state.
I like her roommate, she seems to be a true friend. And Laurel's coworkers seem to bring out the true best in her.
One character that stuck out to me was Pamela Buchanan. She is truly Daisy and Tom's daughter! She is stuck up, truly unhappy, and alone. These negative feelings only make her treat others worse. Her decision to simply give up on her mentally ill brother both disgusted and upset me. What kind of sister is she? I suppose the stuck-up nature of her upbringing really affected her character and morals in the long run.

1 comment:
This book seems pretty interesting. It's very different. I hope it gets more in depth.
Post a Comment