Independent Reading, Post #11
Kerouac has a very interesting style. He isn't one for long sentences or flowery language- he usually just gets to the point. It's a strange, choppy way of writing that is very modern. His figurative language use is minimal, but he has a way with few words that is quietly eloquent. An example of a good description would be how he describes meeting his Mexican lover's family and her home.
"Her five brothers were singing melodious songs in Spanish. The stars bent over the little roof; smoke poked from the stovepipe chimney. I smelled mashed beans and chili. The old man growled." (Page 100)
When I first began reading, I found this manner of writing irritating, but the more I read, the more it grew on me.
After research, I discovered that he had a name for his style: Spontaneous Prose. Here's a quick explanation composed by Kerouac, revealing the essentials of this manner of writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment