Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Apples to Oranges?


I'm glad that Pakistan is being more accepting to the US's help in controlling their country. However, I can't help but wonder what our motivations are for helping. They clearly aren't totally altruistic, or we'd be aiding the government in unstable places such as Sudan or the Congo. Though our judgment may be clouded when it comes to getting involved in Pakistan's troubles, I can't say that we are like Che in Bolivia.
Che was trying to overthrow the current government in Bolivia to spur other communist revolutions in Latin America. He had little to no support even from the Bolivian Communist Party.
The US is trying to stabilize the current Pakistani government and wipe out rebels such as Che. I don't think we should get so involved in other countries' affairs, especially countries that could very likely turn around and betray us, but our efforts are moving Pakistan toward a more stable future.

No comments: