Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Preview to Motorcycle Diaries


The Front Cover • It’s by Che Guevara- not exactly the best character
• It’s a New York Times bestseller
o Must be well-written
o Or controversial
• Picture of Che Guevara on the front
• It’s a ‘journey’ story, kind of like On the Road
• Will this be good? Is Guevara a good writer?

The Back Cover
• Travelogue sort of story about Guevara’s journey across Latin America
• Lots of good reviews
• Takes place when Che was 23

Inside the Book
• Copywritten 2003
• No dedication
• Brief chronology of Guevara’s life and itinerary of Che’s journey
• No other titles.
• He writes very well- with a descriptive, educated sound

OVERALL IMPRESSION

I see this as a classic “coming of age” story, albeit set in Latin America. Throughout his travels in Latin America, Guevara will discover much about himself and his culture. I think it will be well-written and enjoyable, though I do not foresee myself agreeing with his ideology.
Glen Beck portrayed Guevara as a cold-blooded killer, a Hitler wannabe, even. The book seems to show Guevara as a tragic hero who died for the Latin American cause. I believe the true Che was somewhere in the middle- a man who meant well for his people, but employed brutal tactics, and fell into corruption the longer he was associated with the cause. I am eagerly anticipating beginning the Motorcycle Diaries- though Guevara's views are suspect in my opinion, they still should be interesting to read.

No comments: